ISO's Standards for road safety cover areas such as crash test dummies, vehicle safety, driving licences, intelligent transport systems, and more. Now ISO is developing a Standard for road-traffic safety management systems, ISO 39001.
'The future ISO 39001 will provide guidance on developing, nurturing, and sustaining a management system for road-traffic safety, and will therefore go a very long way to stopping the current epidemic of road-traffic deaths, an epidemic that is out of control and quickly getting worse in developing countries,' says Dr. Mark Rosenberg, Director of the Global Road Safety Forum.
New Zealand is currently an observer member of the ISO committee developing the future Standard, ISO 39001.
Road-traffic fatalities are forecast to increase from the current level of more than 1.3 million per year to more than 1.9 million by 2020. By 2015, road crashes are predicted by the World Health Organization to be the leading cause of premature death and disability for children aged 5 and above.
The future ISO 39001 will:
- provide organisations active in road safety with tools to increase and promote their related safety standards
- be set at a level of principles and systems and will provide an opportunity to integrate safety into commercial and non-commercial decision making
- provide governments with a further opportunity to engage more partners in safety
- provide an important opportunity for public and private organisations to promote safety systems as a point of difference and excellence
- provide high level guidance for all organisations in the community that wish to contribute to eliminating death and serious injury on the world's roads.
'The Standard will require that organisations set, and more importantly, meet explicit road-traffic safety objectives,' says Kevin McKinley, ISO Deputy Secretary-General. 'It will also require that the executive top management demonstrates its commitment to reducing loss of life, to health, and to getting results.'
To view ISO road safety-related Standards, visit www.standards.co.nz, enter 'road safety' in the search field, and click 'ISO'.
ISO Standards are available from Standards New Zealand. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 782 632 to order.
Standards New Zealand members receive a 20% discount. For information on becoming a Standards New Zealand member call us now on 0800 735 656.