Standards New Zealand is seeking feedback on a proposal for a new field of technical activity on Halal. The Halal Technical Committee has proposed this activity. The scope of the proposal is the following.
The Halal Technical Committee will draft international standards for Halal products and services, including requirements for personnel competency requirements, and management system requirements for organisations. This shall define and include best practices, policies, processes, and guidelines for developing Halal standards or other Technical specification/requirements, sampling and testing methods, as well as sector application conformity assessment documents on inspection, certification, and accreditation. Sector applications of conformity assessment standards shall be developed in a Joint Working Group (JWG) under the leadership of CASCO using the CASCO toolbox. In addition these standards will promote mutual recognition and acceptance of national and regional conformity assessment systems and marks/labelling standards.
This committee shall also include market monitoring procedures and applicable corrective actions in local and international settings, such as rapid exchange of information and alert systems, recalls, and other mitigating measures.
Halal products and services include food (fresh, frozen, processed and so on) beverages, cosmetics and personal care, pharmaceuticals, apparel, logistics, finance, tourism and hospitality, and more.
The following are intended to be excluded from the scope of this committee:
- generic food standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 34 Food products
- clothing and textile standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 38 Textiles and ISO/TC 133 Clothing sizing systems - size designation, size measurement methods and digital fittings
- pharmaceutical standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 76, Transfusion, infusion and injection equipment for medical and pharmaceutical use; ISO/TC 194 Biological and clinical evaluation of medical devices, and ISO/TC 212 Clinical laboratory testing and in vitro diagnostic test systems
- generic packaging standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 122 Packaging
- generic cosmetics standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 217 Cosmetics
- generic tourism and related services standards falling under the scope of ISO/TC 228 Tourism and related services
- consumer policy standards falling under the scope of COPOLCO.
Standards New Zealand is consulting with stakeholders in this area to determine New Zealand's response.
More information is available on our international engagement page.
To submit comments including support for or opposition to the proposal, please email email@example.com.