Issue 27 – May 2011
ISO's Central Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, which coordinates the organisation's network of national Standards institutes in some 160 countries, has just been re-certified for the fourth time to ISO 9001 (quality management) and achieved certification for the first time to ISO 14001 (environmental management).
The certificates were presented on 14 April 2011 to ISO Secretary-General, Rob Steele, who comments: 'Certification is not a requirement of ISO 9001 or ISO 14001, but with more than a million organisations around the world certified to one or other, or both, of the Standards, ISO Central Secretariat was honour bound to show that it could take its own medicine. I'm proud of the way our 160 employees have responded to the challenge.
'At the same time, the important thing is not the certificate on the wall, but our commitment to continual improvement in serving our customers and stakeholders better.'
The ISO Central Secretariat is the hub of a system including 159 national Standards institutes and nearly 3300 technical bodies, responsible for a current portfolio of more than 18600 International Standards for business, government and society.
Its activities include coordinating the Standards-development system, the final editing and publication of ISO Standards, and distributing and promoting them, along with a range of services, such as training, for ISO's national members. Both certifications cover the scope of the ISO Central Secretariat's work, including publishing and of other services.
The Central Secretariat first achieved ISO 9002 certification in May 1996, since migrating to ISO 9001. Among environmental impacts reduced by implementing an ISO 14001 system are reduced consumption of paper and energy. A major objective is to reduce its carbon footprint by 4% over the 2009 – 2014 period.
Note: Standards New Zealand is also certified to ISO 9001.
- AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008 Quality management – Requirements
- AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
- New edition of 'ISO 9001 for Small Businesses' handbook, Touchstone, July 2010
- World's benchmark quality management systems Standard revised, media release, April 2009
- Tackling environmental challenges – ISO 14000 family of Standards, Touchstone, April 2010
- Environmental management system Standards – video clip available, Touchstone, September 2009