Standards New Zealand proudly sponsored the Supreme Award for the 2009 Engineering Excellence Awards again this year. The winner of the 2009 Supreme Award for New Zealand Engineering Excellence is Aircraft Hangar Maintenance Docks, Beca.
Richard Westlake (Chair, Standards Council), Debbie Chin (Chief Executive, Standards New Zealand), Rob Warner (General Manager Strategic Development and Innovation Centre), and Vivian Kloosterman (Standards Council member) attended the awards dinner in Wellington in November 2009. Approximately 400 people celebrated at the awards dinner, along with Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast; Maurice Williamson, Minister for Building and Construction; and other ministers.
The Engineering Excellence Awards are the premier awards for New Zealand engineering professionals. The awards celebrate excellence in engineering and raise the profile of the profession by showcasing engineering at its best.
2009 Supreme Award for New Zealand Engineering Excellence – Aircraft Hangar Maintenance Docks, Beca
The recipient of the Supreme Award is selected from the winners of each of the Project and Product Awards. The award recognises the project which stands out from the others in terms of its eminence and contribution to engineering and New Zealand.
The Aircraft Hangar Maintenance Docks, Beca project exemplifies the ability of New Zealand engineers to not only develop high technology, but to create small-scale and flexible solutions that enable New Zealand engineering operations to compete with larger-scale and more customised facilities overseas.
The challenge of developing flexible working platforms capable of accommodating twelve different narrow body aircraft of different heights and body profiles was successfully addressed. To protect the aircraft and allow safe and easy access to constrained work sites on the wings, fuselage, and engines, the docks were designed and built to demanding geometric requirements and tight tolerance standards.
The advanced movement control features and inbuilt utility services enable a high level of productivity to be attained. This project has enabled New Zealand to maintain an engineering capability that might otherwise have been lost offshore.
Project and Product Award winners
Standards New Zealand congratulates all the 2009 Project and Product Award winners.
- Building and Construction: Foundation System for the Gisborne Police Station, Opus International Consultants
- Energy Systems: Weta Digital – New Supercomputer Centre, Intellex Ltd
- Food, Bioprocess and Chemical: Hautapu Lactose Evaporator, Aurecon New Zealand Ltd
- Information, Communication, Electronic and Electrical Technology: High Voltage DC Power Distribution for Telecommunications Facilities, Opus International Consultants Ltd
- Mechanical and Manufacturing: Aircraft Hangar Maintenance Docks, Beca
- Sustainability and Clean Technology: Meridian Energy Building, Site 7 Kumutoto Plaza, Beca and Dunning Thornton Consultants Ltd
- Transportation Infrastructure: Northern Busway, Opus International Consultants Ltd, Beca Infrastructure Ltd, Aurecon New Zealand Ltd and Fletcher Construction Company Ltd
- Water, Waste and Amenities: Project Storm 2: Dynamic Model Engineering, MWH New Zealand Ltd
For more information visit www.nzeeawards.org.nz.