Last month, Standards New Zealand hosted the AG-001 Gas appliances committee in Wellington. Twenty-five technical experts from Australia and New Zealand, including committee members and industry observers, attended the meeting.
Project Manager Michael Shouse from Standards New Zealand says, ‘It was great to host this very productive meeting in Wellington. The meeting provided the opportunity for keen industry observers in New Zealand to attend and learn about the latest developments in gas standards.’
The topics discussed included active projects, newly approved projects and reports from working groups.
In 2017, new technical requirements were introduced when AS/NZS 5263.0:2017 Gas appliances – Part 0: General requirements was published. Five other draft standards in the gas appliances series are being reviewed and compared to AS/NZS 5263.0 to ensure that they align with these new technical and safety requirements.
The draft standards that are being reviewed include:
- AS/NZS 5263.1.5 Gas appliances – Part 1.5:Domestic gas refrigerators (a revision of AS 4555-2002)
- AS/NZS 5263.1.9 Gas appliances – Part 1.9:Gas laundry dryers (a revision of AS 4554-2005)
- AS/NZS 5263.1.10 Gas appliances – Part 1.10:Gas direct fired air heaters (a revision of AS 5262-2011)
- AS/NZS 5263.1.11 Gas appliances – Part 1.11:Small gas engines (new standard in development)
- AS/NZS 5263.1.12 Gas appliances – Part 1.12: Gas pool heaters (a revision of AS 4560-2004).
Newly approved projects
The committee also discussed some newly approved projects, including:
- the revision of AS 4563 Commercial catering gas equipment, with a kick-off meeting by May 2018
- the revision of AS/NZS 5263 Gas appliances Part 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.7, 1.6, and 1.8 (total six parts), with a kick-off meeting by May 2018.
Reports from working groups
The committee also discussed reports from various working groups. During this discussion, the committee identified that new gas appliances are entering the market. The committee agreed that they’ll need to work out if these appliances fall under existing standards or if new standards guidance is needed.
For information about the AG-001 committee, please contact Standards New Zealand: firstname.lastname@example.org