Amendments to the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010 that came into force on 31 July 2014 mean the regulations now cite the new joint gas installation standard AS/NZS 5601:2013 Gas installations.
For New Zealand users, the major changes from AS/NZS 5601.1:2010 Gas installations Part 1: General installations include:
- a revised Appendix F for pipe sizing in relation to increased flow capacities where supply and equipment pressure permits
- a revised Appendix G for the method in calculating breather vent orifice sizes
- a new informative Appendix O for gas appliance commissioning
- a new informative Appendix Q comprising a gas installation checklist
- a new normative Appendix R for spillage testing of combustion products.
For New Zealand users, the major changes to AS/NZS 5601.2:2010 Gas installations Part 2: LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes include the following:
- clarification of requirements for drainage and ventilation requirements for LPG cylinder compartments and lockers
- clarification of refrigerator installation requirements
- guidance on increase in ventilation area where mesh is installed
- new warning label for vents
- mandatory requirements for consumer instructions in
- a new informative Appendix I for gas appliance commissioning
- a new informative Appendix K with a gas installation checklist.
Transitional provisions mean AS/NZS 5601:2010 may continue to be used until 31 December 2015.