Issue 51 – July 2013
The Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations now cite AS/NZS 5601.1:2010 Gas installations – Part 1: General installations instead of NZS 5261.2003 Installation of gas burning appliances and equipment. Energy Safety; the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board; and Standards New Zealand have developed a short presentation on what this means for practitioners.
This presentation outlines aspects of AS/NZS 5601.1 that differ from NZS 5261. AS/NZS 5601.1 also incorporates several technical and editorial amendments.
Major changes in this revision include:
- additional requirements for the use of proprietary multilayer piping systems
- changes to the installation of a freestanding cooking appliance connected with a hose assembly
- revision of the appendix on pipe sizing – Appendix F
- inclusion of a new appendix on gas in high-rise buildings – Appendix K
- inclusion of a new appendix with diagrammatical representation of outdoor areas – Appendix I.
The presentation also discusses the mandatory change on negative air pressures, along with several key changes to means of compliance.
→ View the presentation: gas installation standard – overview