The Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010 have been approved by Cabinet and are now available on the New Zealand Legislation website. (www.legislation.govt.nz)
The new regulations come into force on 4 May 2010. However, one regulation, exempting certain types of gasfitting from the requirement for certification by a gasfitter, came into force on 1 April 2010 to coincide with the new definition of gasfitting under the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 2006.
The new regulations prescribe:
- the generic rules and requirements about safety
- the point of supply
- requirements for safety management systems (SMS), including setting the 'brightline' for which gas supply systems are required to have an SMS
- the third party certification regime for gas appliances
- the joint New Zealand/Australian gas appliance label
- two levels of offences and infringement offences.
Transitional provisions are provided within the regulations, the third party certification regime requirements for gas appliances must be complied with by May 2012 and the SMS requirements by May 2013.
The Gas Amendment Act 2006 will also come fully into force on 4 May 2010.
- New Zealand Legislation website: Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010
- Ministry of Economic Development website: Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010 Overview (www.energysafety.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____42817.aspx)
Reproduced from the Ministry of Economic Development Energy Safety Newsletter, April 2010.