This article is summarised from an ISO media release by Clare Naden on 3 May 2018.
Hot on the heels of the world’s first international standard for occupational health and safety comes a new technical specification to ensure those auditing it are up to scratch. ISO/IEC TS 17021-10:2018 defines the skills and knowledge that audit and certification bodies need when they are auditing organisations that have implemented the health and safety standard ISO 45001:2018.
- ISO 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use made standardisation history when it was published earlier this year. It includes several requirements for which specific skills related to occupational health and safety are required to audit it effectively. These include skills relating to terminology, principles, concepts, tools, and techniques.
- ISO/IEC TS 17021-10:2018 is a dedicated conformity assessment document to ensure auditors have the right skills to do the job well. It is designed to complement ISO 45001:2018.
ISO/IEC TS 17021-10:2018 Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems – Part 10: Competence requirements for auditing and certification of occupational health and safety management systems:
- is intended to guarantee a harmonised approach to the accreditation of an ISO 45001 certification
- is aimed at auditors, or anyone making certification decisions related to ISO 45001
- will ultimately serve certification, accreditation, and regulatory bodies by confirming that auditing and certification decisions about ISO 45001 have been made by those who have the competence to do so.