Issue 50 – June 2013
The Government has launched a new multimedia toolbox to help businesses understand and manage the risks posed by hazardous substances. The Environmental Protection Authority created the toolbox to raise awareness among small and medium sized businesses about the risks of working with hazardous substances such as paints, solvents, and liquid agrichemicals.
The toolbox includes:
- a guide to working safely with hazardous substances
- an online calculator that allows businesses to enter a list of their hazardous substances and learn what key controls they need in place
- posters reminding workers about the health impacts of being exposed to hazardous substances and the meaning of chemical labels
- five animated safety videos designed to convey key safety messages to staff
- an easy reference emergency response plan
→ To order a free toolbox go to www.hazardoussubstances.govt.nz/toolbox or phone 0800 376 234
Summarised from a media release by Minister Amy Adams, 29 May 2013.
- NZS 5433.1:2012 Transport of dangerous goods on land – Part 1: Technical information
- NZS 5433.2:2012 Transport of dangerous goods on land – Part 2: List of dangerous goods
- AS/NZS 5026:2012 The storage and handling of Class 4 dangerous goods
- NZS 5418.1:1983 Transportation containers for hazardous substances – Specification for tanks for the multi-modal transportation of hazardous liquids
- NZS 5418.2:1983 Transportation containers for hazardous substances – Specification for small packages for transportation by land, sea and air