Issue 48 – April 2013
The Government is reporting a dramatic decline in sunbed operators, partly because of difficulties complying with quality minimum acceptable practice. Associate Health Minister Jo Goodhew says 144 operators were checked out between July and December last year after new Standards were introduced. She says that in Auckland the number of sunbed operators has decreased from 73 to 39 since 2009 and in the central North Island they are down from 41 to 26.
'One of the reported reasons for operators no longer offering sunbed services was the difficulties complying with the Standard,' she said. 'Skin cancer is the most common cancer in New Zealand and it's pleasing to hear some operators who are not meeting best practice have voluntarily chosen to stop providing commercial sunbed services.'
Summarised from Yahoo New Zealand news, NZ Newswire, April 4, 2013.