Issue 40 – July 2012
After 6 years of managing the ISO subcommittee ISO/TC 46/SC 4 'Information and documentation – Technical interoperability', New Zealand passed the secretariat to Finland at the May plenary meeting.
Over the last 6 years, the subcommittee has been chaired by Alison Elliott, Director Content Services at the National Library of New Zealand, with secretarial services provided by Standards New Zealand. The subcommittee develops international Standards that facilitate interoperability of, and ease of access to, library and related systems, services, and databases, such as information centres, indexing and abstracting services, archives, museums, and publishers.
During this period the subcommittee has completed a substantial work programme, including publishing the ISO 28560 series (RFID in libraries), ISO 2146 (Registry services for libraries and related organizations), and ISO 8459 (Bibliographic data element directory for use in data exchange and enquiry). With one project currently underway and a number of new work items about to be proposed, it was timely to transfer the secretariat to another participating country.
The next focus for TC 46/SC 4 is the long-term preservation of digital resources, such as electronic publications (e-pubs).
New Zealand will continue to participate on TC 46/SC 4. The next meeting will be held in May 2013, in Paris.
- ISO 28560-1:2011 Information and documentation – RFID in libraries – Part 1: Data elements and general guidelines for implementation
- ISO 28560-2:2011 Information and documentation – RFID in libraries – Part 2: Encoding of RFID data elements based on rules from ISO/IEC 15962
- ISO 28560-3:2011 Information and documentation – RFID in libraries – Part 3: Fixed length encoding
- ISO 2146:2010 Information and documentation – Registry services for libraries and related organizations
- ISO 8459:2009 Information and documentation – Bibliographic data element directory for use in data exchange and enquiry
- International interoperability Standards – New Zealand Secretariat of ISO/TC 46/SC 4, Touchstone February 2011
- Standardisation – how New Zealand contributes to international records management Standards, Touchstone February 2012