Issue 27 – May 2011
A free online 'train the trainer' programme on the improved second edition of ISO/IEC 17021:2011 is now available on the ISO website at www.iso.org/tutorial17021. Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems ISO 17021 sets new requirements for the auditing of management systems and for auditor competence. The tutorial explains the differences to the first edition, published in 2006, and the new requirements.
The tutorial on ISO/IEC 17021 was developed by Randy Dougherty and Alister Dalrymple, two leaders of the working group responsible for the Standard. The tutorial (available in English only), consists of three PowerPoint presentations including notes, as follows: an overview presentation, an audit process presentation, and an auditor competence presentation.
ISO/IEC 17021 aims to increase the value of management system certification to public and private sector organisations worldwide. The Standard is intended to increase trust in certificates issued attesting conformity to management system Standards (MSS) such as ISO 9001 (quality management), ISO 14001 (environmental management), and ISO 22000 (food safety management). Certificates to these and other MSS are widely used in global markets to establish confidence between business partners and between organisations and their customers, to qualify suppliers in supply chains, and as a requirement to tender for procurement contracts.
Observance of the Standard's requirements is intended to ensure that certification bodies operate competently, consistently, and impartially, to help improve the recognition of such bodies and the acceptance of their certifications both nationally and internationally, and to help improve the recognition of management system certification in the interests of international trade.
- AS/NZS ISO 9001:2008 Quality management – Requirements
- AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
- BS EN ISO 22000:2005 Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain
- New requirements – auditing of management systems and auditor competence, Touchstone, February 2011
- New edition of 'ISO 9001 for Small Businesses' handbook, Touchstone, July 2010
- World's benchmark quality management systems Standard revised, media release, April 2009
- Tackling environmental challenges – ISO 14000 family of Standards, Touchstone, April 2010
- Environmental management system Standards – video clip available, Touchstone, September 2009
- Rise in use of Standards for food safety and information security – latest ISO survey, Touchstone, March 2010
- Food manufacturers – new tool to control hazards, Touchstone, March 2010
- Crop production quality management – new farmer-friendly Standard, Touchstone, February 2010
- Certification of products – update on future Standard, April 2011