Issue 29 – July 2011
In May 2011 a group of six New Zealand (NZ) information technology (IT) stakeholders went to Paris to attend an international Standards meeting on software systems and engineering – the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)/International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Plenary meeting of Joint Technical Committee (JTC) 1 'Information technology', Subcommittee (SC) 7 'Software systems and engineering'.
Alison Holt, Head of the delegation to SC 7, says, 'New Zealand's participation in ISO subcommittees is critical for government and industry. We have six New Zealanders involved in SC 7 – this is the biggest delegation we've had for an international meeting of SC 7 and shows the perceived value of being involved in developing these software and systems engineering Standards. By ensuring these international IT Standards are suitable for New Zealand companies, we're opening up a gateway for international business for our growing New Zealand software companies.'
'All countries participating in the development of an ISO Standard get one vote, and New Zealand has the same voting power as all the other countries,' says Holt. 'Our participation ensures New Zealand's view is voiced and considered when the latest international Standards are developed. It also gives us the opportunity to gather up-to-date information about governance, cloud computing, digital forensics, testing, and software systems and engineering. We want to keep channelling this information back into the New Zealand government and industry, to help governance and management to address these issues in their organisations.'
At the Plenary meeting over 260 delegates from 23 countries conducted their work in 15 working groups (WG). The delegates agreed to progress the work of several working groups and reviewed new work items.
For more information about SC 7 please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AS/NZS ISO/IEC 38500:2010 Corporate governance of information technology
- AS/NZS 8016(INT):2010 Corporate governance of projects involving information technology investments
- AS/NZS ISO/IEC 16085:2007 Information technology – Systems and software engineering – Life cycle processes – Risk management
Related Touchstone articles
- ISO international software systems Standards – updates from New Zealand IT stakeholders, July 2011
- Cloud security – Cloud Security Alliance and ISO/IEC to work together to develop Standards, May 2011
- Cloud computing services – New Zealand to form NZ 'international review' group, February 2011
- Cloud computing ISO Standards in the pipeline, September 2010
- Standards New Zealand workshop on corporate governance of IT, August 2010
- Standards for corporate governance of information technology, April 2010
- IT Governance – howzat?, December 2008