Issue 19 – August 2010
The performance requirements of New Zealand Building Code D1 Access routes related to stairs is given in clause D1.3.3. Stair treads must:
- have adequate footing and a uniform rise
- incorporate an easily seen leading edge
- be designed to prevent children falling through or being trapped
- have adequate slip resistance, with D1/AS1 4.1.4 requiring slip resistance in accordance with Table 2
- have no isolated or single risers.
D1.3.3 also requires landings at appropriate intervals and securely fixed handrails.
In D1/AS1 section 4.0, guidance is given on appropriate stair design to ensure stairs meet the above performance requirements.
Reproduced from BRANZ Guideline, July 2010.
- AS/NZS 3661.1 Slip resistance of pedestrian surfaces – Requirements