Parts of NZS 3604:1999, the key Standard for building timber framed houses in New Zealand, need to be brought up to date. We are seeking feedback from stakeholders by 12 December 2008, to ensure as many issues as possible have been identified, prior to starting the revision.
NZS 3604 is widely used by designers, builders, engineers, and the building industry. Ninety-three per cent of timber framed houses in New Zealand are built to the Standard. It provides practical guidance on how to design and build houses to meet the New Zealand Building Code requirements, without the need for specific engineering design.
We will soon start a project to revise NZS 3604 and will be calling for nominations to the technical committee. We will collate all feedback received from stakeholders, and present this to the technical committee for discussion during the project.
The key objectives of the revision of NZS 3604 are to:
- reflect needs of industry, and changes in materials and industry practice, since the last revision
- reflect changes in related Standards, including those setting requirements for loadings
- consider the merits of a ‘whole building’ design approach, versus the ‘single member’ approach.
During the revision process, there may also be additional issues for the committee to consider.
The specific areas in NZS 3604 that need updating are:
- to reflect the AS/NZS 1170 Loading Standard. AS/NZS 1170 will soon be referenced in New Zealand Building Code Compliance Documents, effective 1 December 2008
- the DBH Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 has superseded NZS 3604 building envelope design (weathertightness issues). NZS 3604 needs to be updated to reflect this
- to incorporate content on bracings and durability
- to reflect current technical knowledge and industry practices, as building practices have moved on significantly in the last ten years
Please take this opportunity to inform the revision process, by supplying Standards New Zealand with any relevant updated feedback on the areas that you believe need revising.
You may wish to comment on the following areas:
- Any aspects outside the points listed above.
- Any surplus or duplicate information.
- Any text diagram or table that needs further clarification.
How NZS 3604 should be presented and in what media (for example, web version, CD, friendlier A5 size, improved index, ring binder, more drawings, have names of sections on dividers, make digitised versions of drawings available, and so on).
Please email your feedback to email@example.com by 12 December 2008.
For further information, please contact Mani Taare, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Craig Watkin, email@example.com. Future updates on the revision of NZS 3604 will be published in the building section of ‘Touchstone’.
To be notified when the revised 3604 is published, subscribe to our ‘Keep me up to date’ service.