Plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes - Part 1: General requirements
IEC 60884-1:2022 applies to plugs and fixed or portable socket-outlets for AC only, with or without earthing contact, with a rated voltage greater than 50 V but not exceeding 440 V and a rated current not exceeding 32 A, intended for household and similar purposes, either indoors or outdoors.
Compatible plugs and socket-outlets, when combined, form a plug and socket-outlet system. Standardized systems used around the world are reported in IEC/TR 60083.
The rated current is limited to 16 A maximum for accessories provided with screwless-type terminals.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2002, Amendment 1:2006 and Amendment 2:2013. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- plugs and socket-outlets incorporating pilot lights;
- crimped connections in accessories;
- insulation piercing terminals (IPT);
- accessories to be used with American Wire Gauge (AWG) cables;
- accessories used in T° below −5 °C down to and including −45 °C;
- accessories used in T° above +40 °C up to and including +70 °C;
- plugs and socket-outlets for high load (HL);
- clarification of some definitions;
- durability of markings test;
- introduction of thermal monitoring in the plug;
- requirements for shutters in portable socket-outlets;
- test walls for the verification of ingress of water;
- rewriting of the temperature rise clause.
|Get this standard||Prices exclude GST|
|PDF ( Single user document)||
Keep me up-to-dateSign up to receive updates when there are changes to this standard
Approval and test specification - Electrical portable outlet devices
AS/NZS 3105:2014 A1
Approval and test specification - Electrical portable outlet devices: Amendment 1
Approval and test specification - Plugs and socket-outlets
AS/NZS 3112:2011 A1
Approval and test specification - Plugs and socket-outlets: Amendment 1:2012