Personnel certification has become an important element of verifying the competence of an increasingly mobile and global workforce. In response to this growing need, a new and improved ISO/IEC Standard aims to harmonise the various procedures used around the world to certify the competence of personnel in different occupations or professions.
ISO/IEC 17024:2012 Conformity assessment – General requirements for bodies operating certification of persons provides a global benchmark for personnel certification programmes to ensure that they operate in a consistent, comparable, and reliable manner worldwide, thereby allowing individuals to have skills that translate across national lines.
This second edition of ISO/IEC 17024 has been updated with new requirements for personal certification programmes and security-related issues. New criteria for examinations were also added.
'Most professionals now pursue certification as a means of demonstrating that they have the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform their work,' explains Dr Cynthia Woodley, Chair of the team that developed the new Standard. 'Programmes accredited under ISO/IEC 17024 will increase the potential for national and international reciprocity of certified individuals and personnel certification bodies.'
- Order ISO/IEC 17024:2012 Conformity assessment – General requirements for bodies operating certification of persons from www.standards.co.nz or call 0800 782 632 during business hours or email email@example.com.
Note: You can order ISO Standards from www.standards.co.nz or call 0800 782 632 during business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Members of Standards New Zealand receive a 20% discount on all NZS and AS/NZS Standards, and a 10% discount on all international Standards. Visit our membership page for more information.
- AS/NZS ISO/IEC 17021:2011 Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems
- ISO free online tutorial on ISO/IEC 17021 – the benchmark for management system certification, media release, 4 May 2011
- New requirements – auditing of management systems and auditor competence, Touchstone, February 2011
- Building trust – new handbook for conformity assessment, Touchstone, April 2010
Standards New Zealand
(04) 498 3989