Many of us use cosmetics such as make-up or shampoo to cleanse, perfume, protect, and change our appearance or scent. However, how do we know that the products we apply are safe? A new ISO Standard, ISO 11930:2012 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Evaluation of the antimicrobial protection of a cosmetic product, will help evaluate the antimicrobial protection of cosmetics.
There are several ways to protect cosmetics – chemical preservation, inherent characteristics of the formulation, package design, and the manufacturing process. ISO 11930 will help test their effectiveness in safeguarding consumers.
'The use of cosmetics is as global as the industry,' says Andrée Cremieux, Project Leader of ISO 11930. 'Harmonised global guidance is necessary to ensure tests of cosmetics are carried out reliably around the world and that results from different laboratories are comparable.
'ISO 11930 outlines a procedure for evaluating the overall preservation of a cosmetic product including a preservation efficacy test and evaluation criteria. The Standard will share best practice around the world, making companies more efficient, bringing down barriers to trade, and reassuring consumers that the products they use are safe.'
ISO 11930 should be used in accordance with ISO 29621:2010 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Guidelines for the risk assessment and identification of microbiologically low-risk products, which helps determine which products have a risk of microbial contamination.
- Order ISO 11930:2012 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Evaluation of the antimicrobial protection of a cosmetic product and ISO 29621:2010 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Guidelines for the risk assessment and identification of microbiologically low-risk products vitro from www.standards.co.nz or call 0800 782 632 during business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: You can order ISO Standards from www.standards.co.nz or call 0800 782 632 during business hours or email email@example.com. Members of Standards New Zealand receive a 20% discount on all NZS and AS/NZS Standards, and a 10% discount on all international Standards. Visit our membership page for more information.
- New ISO Standard will better protect people from harmful sun rays, Touchstone, August 2012
- New Standard on sunscreen will protect New Zealanders, Touchstone, July 2012
- Cosmetics safety – international Standards meeting in New Zealand for the first time, Touchstone, October 2011
- Cosmetic products – new Standard to reduce contamination, Touchstone, February 2011
Standards New Zealand
(04) 498 3989