23 March 2010
Standards New Zealand has published the revised Standard Fire sprinkler systems for life safety in sleeping occupancies (up to 2000 square metres) NZS 4515:2009. Sprinkler systems that comply with NZS 4515 provide high levels of life and property protection, reduce risk to occupants, and minimise fire and smoke damage to property.
NZS 4515:2009 places a greater emphasis on the life-safety characteristics of sprinkler systems, versus their property protection characteristics. The Standard provides building owners, specifiers, users, manufacturers, suppliers, plumbers, installers, and maintenance persons with requirements to professionally design, install, and maintain a life-safety sprinkler system for a building used solely as a sleeping occupancy.
NZS 4515:2009 clarifies what is and what is not a sleeping occupancy, to differentiate between this Standard and the voluntary Standard NZS 4517:2002 Fire sprinkler systems for houses (currently under revision).
A sleeping occupancy includes care institutions, guest accommodation, apartment buildings, hospital wards, and supervised accommodation homes. A sleeping occupancy could also include self-care units in, for example, prisons or other institutions. The New Zealand Building Code Compliance Document for fire safety C/AS1 requires these types of buildings to be sprinkler protected and NZS 4515 is incorporated by reference in the Compliance Document (within the limitations specified in the Standard).
The revised NZS 4515 has been updated to:
- align with 4541:2007 Automatic fire sprinkler systems where appropriate
- incorporate all formal interpretations relating to NZS 4515 since its last edition in 2003.
- NZS 4503:2005 Hand operated fire-fighting equipment
- NZS 4510:2008 Fire hydrant systems for buildings
- NZS 4512:2003 Fire detection and alarm systems in buildings (currently under revision)
- NZS 4517:2002 Fire sprinkler systems for houses (currently under revision)
- NZS 4541:2007 Automatic fire sprinkler systems
- SNZ PAS 4505:2007 Firefighting waterway equipment
- SNZ PAS 4509:2008 New Zealand Fire Service firefighting water supplies code of practice
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Standards New Zealand's monthly e-magazine Touchstone for the very latest news on Standards.
The question is not what you gain from standardisation, it's what you lose without it.
Standards New Zealand
(04) 498 3986
About Standards New Zealand
Standards New Zealand is the operating arm of the Standards Council, and part of New Zealand's standards and conformance infrastructure. Standards New Zealand is an autonomous Crown entity responsible for managing the development and distribution of Standards across a range of sectors nationally.
Standards New Zealand is a self-funded, not-for-profit organisation, relying on revenue primarily from contracts with sponsors to develop Standards, and from sales of Standards publications. Our independence helps us facilitate a cross section of stakeholders' contributions to the development of Standards, and ensure that each Standard meets the needs of end users.