Digital reader pilot
Enabling easier access to standards through digital innovation
We understand the way documents are read, used, and shared is changing. Consumers want information in portable, dynamic, feature-rich digital formats. Standards New Zealand has been exploring digital options for making our standards more accessible to our users. We have launched a six-month trial of a new digital reader pilot.
This pilot will run until September 2021 and help us shape the future of how standards are consumed. The digital reader format will allow users to carry standards in their pocket, no matter where they are and no matter how large or complicated the standard might be.
Our digital reader is a platform that can be accessed on any web-enabled device, including smartphones, tablets and desktop computers. Some of the benefits compared with the current PDF and hard copy standards available are:
- Compatible with desktop and most mobile devices
- Content resizes to fit your screen
- Make notes inside a standard and highlight text
- Enlarge and scroll through complex diagrams
- Searchable content
- Tables shaped to fit your screen.
Standards available in our digital reader pilot
The five standards selected for this digital reader pilot are below. On our registration page we will ask for your email address and ask you to accept our terms and conditions of access.
We request these details so we can stay in touch with any updates and get feedback on your experience as a user to help inform future decisions on digital formats.
Access to all five HTML standards is free during the pilot, but fees may attach if users wish to print standards that are not covered by a sponsorship arrangement.
Recommended browsers include Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
The five standards we have selected for use in the trial are:
- NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings
- NZS 4246:2016 Energy efficiency – Installing bulk thermal insulation in residential buildings
- NZS 8156:2019 Ambulance, para medicine and patient transfer services
- NZS 2403:2015 Code of practice for deep geothermal wells
- NZS 4541:2020 Automatic fire sprinkler systems
Register to access the standards
- Create an account at our registration page(external link)
- Check your email and set up your password (it can be anything) on the site
- Log in on the login page(external link)
- Click on the book icon to see all five standards in the pilot and go to the one you prefer.
After you have created an account, you can go directly to the standard of your choice using these URLs:
When you open a document, there will be several navigation options. What they look like depends mainly on whether you are using a mobile device or a desktop computer.
The ‘publication list’ icon will allow you to move to any of the other publications in the pilot.
On mobile, change pages by swiping your screen. On desktop, use the top arrows.
On the left, there are several navigation tools that activate when clicked. One opens a linked table of content, another shows you all the tables in the standard, and a third shows you all the images in the standard. Another navigation link will also show you any notes you may have taken and saved (you have to log in to the specific standard using the Options button to save notes).
The Help menu also offers a short video and a deeper introduction to the tekReader tool – this is very helpful for power users.
Email us with any questions on DigitalReader@standards.govt.nz
Last updated: 26 February 2021