Complaints about the service provided by Standards New ZealandStandards New Zealand is the operational arm of the New Zealand Standards Executive and is a business unit within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
If you’re not happy with the service you’ve received from Standards New Zealand, we’d like to hear about it. We have a dedicated process to address your concerns, resolve any outstanding issues, and help us to keep improving.
Please use our resolution process for complaints about, for example:
- an order, whether via email, by phone, or on our webshop
- our webshop generally
- the Keep Me Up To Date service
- your Online Library subscription
- your Asset Plus subscription
- an enquiry you’ve made
- a product you have purchased from us
- how we have carried out a process, including those on our website or in the Standards and Accreditation Act 2015
- a situation where you feel we didn’t communicate with you clearly
- a situation where you believe you weren’t treated with courtesy or respect.
How to complain
You will need to write to us either via email or letter:
ORComplaints OfficerStandards New ZealandPO Box 1473Wellington 6140
- your name and email address*
- your company name, if applicable
- account details, if applicable.
Timeframes for resolving complaints
When we receive complaints, we aim to:
- acknowledge complaints within 2 working days
- respond to complaints within 15 working days.
If you have more than one complaint, or your complaint is about more than one issue, we may need more time. If this happens, we’ll let you know.
When we assess complaints, we aim to:
- keep an open mind and take a fresh look at the issues raised
- acknowledge any mistakes and put them right if we can
- have our response checked for quality, completeness, and accuracy
- be fair
- see things from your point of view
- understand the reasons why you have lodged a complaint and address those reasons
- escalate your complaint to the correct people as necessary
- keep in mind the context of our scope and role
- operate within legal boundaries and business policies.
What we need from you
It’ll make it easier for us to resolve your complaint if you:
* We will use the personal information you give us to correspond with you in relation to your complaint. We generally do not share your personal information unless it’s necessary for the purpose for which you gave us the information (to fully and fairly investigate your complaint). We will not use it for any other purpose or disclose it except, in exceptional situations, for other reasons permitted under the Privacy Act 1993 or if – in rare instances – we were required by law (for example, to investigate a criminal offence).
- clearly identify the grounds for your complaint
- provide any extra information we ask for
- act honestly and treat us with courtesy and respect – we’ll do the same for you.